How to Make the Perfect Sloe Gin in Time for the Festive Period
Autumn is once again upon us which means we sadly say goodbye to Summer, but, on the plus side, we get to look forward to all the benefits the cooler months bring and one of those is most definitely sloe gin.
Sloe gin boasts all the botanical flavours of your classic gin with delicious, deep berry overtones and it’s perfect to wow guests at any celebration.
So, check out our straightforward sloe gin recipe below!
- 1L Gin
- 500g Sloes
- Caster Sugar/Sugar Syrup (To Taste)
- Glass Bottle or Jars (Enough for 1.5-2L)
Time to Mature
- 2-3 months
How to Make Sloe Gin
- Once you’ve picked (or purchased) your ripe sloes, place them in the freezer overnight as it will split the skin and allow their natural flavours to seep out into the gin.
- The next day, place your sloes in your bottles and add the gin.
- Now you leave it to mature. Place out of direct sunlight but be sure to give it a turn every couple of days so the mixture keeps infusing.
- After 2-3 months (the longer you leave it, the better), you can then sweeten it to taste by adding sugar syrup or caster sugar. FYI, with caster sugar, you’ll need to wait for the granules to dissolve before sampling your creation.
Party On Tip – Don’t let all that hard work go to waste by skimping on the gin! Use a quality brand so you get the most out of your creation.
Yes, it’s as easy as that, but be warned, if you neglect any of the steps all your hard work will go to waste…
… and nobody like wasted gin!