RANKED: The UK’s TOP TEN Hangover Cures
10. Water with Lemon Juice
- Lemon – alkaline – helps restore pH balance
- Too tart
- Turns tepid if you leave it too long
- Just a bit boring really
Assessment: Meh, it might do something, just have it with another more interesting cure.
9. Sweat it Out
- Sense of achievement
- Potentially feel better
- Can make you more dehydrated
- Run so slowly it makes you feel bad about yourself
- Generally a lot of effort
Assessment: Seems like a good idea in theory, but in reality, it requires a lot of getting up and doing stuff.
Verdict: Maybe next time.
8. Coffee (& Sunglasses – Optional)
- Coffee solves a lot of tiredness issues
- Coffee solves a lot of issues
- Sunglasses look on point
- Sunglasses in the office on an overcast day arouses suspicion
- Coffee makes you feel a lot worse
- Waste of a good coffee
Assessment: Could go either way – like gambling on a fourteen in blackjack.
Verdict: Risk outweighs reward.
7. Fizzy Drink
- Gives you a lot of energy
- Tasty and refreshing
- Same mixer as night before – instant sickness
- Energy burst lasts all of three seconds
- Too bubbly
Assessment: Temporary euphoria makes you think you could go rollerblading with kittens or running through meadows, quickly ends up with falling asleep on the couch in front of Netflix.
Verdict: Nothing more than a little lift.
6. Honey on Toast
- Contains fructose which helps break down alcohol (mic drop)
- Might not like honey
- Not a Full English
- Risks a visit from the Honey Monster
Assessment: Scientifically beneficial, but won’t satisfy your hangover food cravings.
Verdict: Like having a microwave curry when you wanted a takeaway.
5. Banana Pancakes
- Like a cuddle for your stomach
- Relatively quick
- Bananas = Good… Pancakes = Good… Both Together = Winner*
*This concept doesn’t work for: Curry = Good… Marmite = Good… Both Together = 🤮
- Get that annoying Jack Johnson song stuck in your head
- Bit like baby food
- Don’t fancy standing up by a hot hob
Assessment: Surprisingly effective.
Verdict: Not worth Jack Johnson.
4. Long Shower (& Cry – Optional)
- Zero effort (literally just stand there and let water hit you)
- Warm and pleasant
- Have a little singsong and hop out feeling chipper
- End up sat down sobbing for three hours and turn into a shrivelled prune
- Can’t get the temperature right which causes unnecessary stress
- Could make you feel worse
Assessment: You think a shower is the answer to all your hangover problems.
Verdict: A shower is rarely the answer to all your hangover problems.
3. Hair of the Dog
- Can make you feel better
- Everyone loves a Bloody Mary
- Round Two!
- The taste/smell/thought of alcohol makes you want to vomit instantly
- Could make you feel way worse
- People think you have a problem
Assessment: Everyone knows someone who swears by it. Bit dicey, though.
Verdict: The option is there, but we’d encourage you to shop about.
2. Sleep it Off
- Minimal effort
- Probably tired anyway
- Warm and cosy
- Can’t sleep
- Could wake up feeling way worse – back to square one
- Run the risk of waking up with horrendous dry mouth and no water
Assessment: A tried and tested cure – allows your body to regenerate.
Verdict: A corker, but you can kiss goodbye to an entire day of your weekend.
- Tastes good
- Potentially feel better
- Can’t stomach it
- Have to make it (unless you venture out, which is effort, or live with mum)
- Potential waste of bacon
Assessment: Delicious, filling, quite often makes you feel right as rain.
Verdict: Still the champion hangover cure!